Decorating During the Holidays Without Hurting a Sale
Selling your home during the holidays means decorating for the holidays without turning off buyers. Even if you already know about decluttering and keeping the house show-ready, talk to your Realtor before getting carried away with holiday decorations.
While it’s hard to dispute that lights and colorful accents can make your home look more festive and cheerful, buyers still need to be able to picture themselves in your home. Just like family photos and other heirlooms that are personal to you, can be distracting to buyers, so can holiday decorations.
But, don’t ditch the holiday decorations altogether, just take time to make a few adjustments during the sale.
1. Enhance the style of the home. If your home has a more modern atmosphere, consider tasteful modern holiday decorations.
“Adding a cozy holiday throw can help spruce up your home,” Renee Behr with The Platinum Group Realtors said. “Along with some plush holiday themed bath and hand towels. Just a few extra touches to create a festive atmosphere.”
2. Depersonalize the decorations. You want the design to appeal to as many different types of people as possible. That also means avoiding the personalized decorations that call attention to you and your family.
3. Less is definitely more. Try boosting the features of the home rather than getting carried away with all the bells and whistles. Accent the best features without hiding them.
“Be sure you don’t go overboard,” Renee Behr with The Platinum Group, Realtors said, “but some nice warm touches, like a little garland will help create a cozy holiday feel.”
4. Don’t be the neighborhood grinch. If your whole neighborhood gets in the spirit, buyers probably expect decorations at your home. Think about using generic decorations to promote season’s greetings rather than a specific holiday.
5. Leave space to move. Don’t eat up floor space with festive decorating, and if your home is small pare down your Christmas tree size as well. Don’t let the presents underneath take up valuable floor space and making your home look smaller, or harder to navigate comfortably.
6. Cozy and Inviting. Using scents like simmering cider or baked cookies will delight the senses more than garlands strung over everything. A fire in the fireplace can be a cozy way to celebrate the winter and warm visitors as well.
The good news is that brave house-hunters who venture out during the holidays are serious about home buying. Holidays become personal on a lot of levels and you want to romance your buyer, not make them feel like they’re at your Christmas party.
In the end, the most important decision is whether to keep your home on the market during the holidays. Talking with your Realtor will give you the best strategy to get the most out of the season while your home is for sale.
The experts at The Platinum Group, Realtors have years of experience selling homes at any time of the year. With the valuable guidance of a knowledgeable professional, it’s easy to stage your home appropriately to ensure buyers see the value and appeal of your home, no matter what the season holds. For a no-obligation consultation, call today: 719-536-4326 or visit PlatinumHomesSales.com.